Saturday, September 13, 2008

Korat RTAFB

For those of you who haven't noticed the link to the Korat site http://www.frontiernet.net/~freitag/Korat/, its in my links in the left column. I was there in 1973 for six months. It was a magical place, a place that I doubt anyone after being there could ever forget. I think of the place alot, I tried to stay in country, but the Air Force had other plans for me.
The website has tons of photos and some great videos. I just found the site a couple of days ago and was amazed at the number of pictures of Roscoe, the 388th TFW's mascot. I had no idea what happened to him until I found the site, its good to know he was able to stay a couple of years longer than I did.
Also, I've often wondered who the aircraft mechanic was that pulled the pin on the jet in the hanger which sent the seat through the roof, killing him. I was standing on the dock of my workshop looking at the hanger when it happened. I heard at the time that he was 21 years old but I never knew his name.
You can't imagine how thankful I am to the webmaster, Bob Freitag and all the contributers to his website. Even though there was a war going on, the memories are of some of the best times in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment